Monday, January 13, 2014

Back Again.. Update on the Bowtech Insanity.

Here we go with the usual intro..  "It's been a while since I've posted anything"...

A lot has happened since the last time I posted anything. I don't even know where to start so I will start where my last post left off. I have absolutely loved my Bowtech Insanity since we figured out the issue. It honestly is the most accurate bow I have ever shot. The only thing that I could say about it that isn't great is the pull over into the valley. It's a little odd to get used to, but that is pretty much it. For a bow that shoots as fast as it does, it's remarkably quiet and smooth to shoot. I have changed arrows and started shooting the FMJ's from Easton because this bow puts out so much energy that I can shoot heavier arrows and still get blazing speed along with the extra punch.

I had a chance to take it to Africa this Spring and it was amazing. I didn't even take a rifle with me and I heard all the " you're going to be eaten" comments.  I really wanted to do the safari with just archery gear and it was also much easier to deal with in transport and customs. When I stepped off the plane and was greeted by my PH, Nikki, we started talking about the bow. "So you're effective range is 20-30 yds?",  "Well", I said, " I practice at 80-90 regularly and have taken numerous animals out to 70".  "Really!" was his reaction and I could tell he was more than skeptical. They talked about archery hunting on the property, but I don't think they had anyone that was really serious and had the equipment that I had. Let me say before I continue, that my PH and the Outfitter (Johan Peiterse), were amazing and the property and staff were top notch. It was an amazing experience.

So I thought I better shoot a little before we went out to make sure my bow was good. There wasn't an archery target so my tracker, Sampson, gathered up some hay bales and we taped a little target to it. I shot out to about 40 and felt good with the set up and Nikki watched and also felt better. The second day we stalked a warthog to 53 yards and I let it rip. It was a great stalk and those animals are a blast to hunt. Well the blood trail was amazingly easy to follow and we found the warthog a very short distance away. The Insanity and the G5 broadheads had done the trick and it was very exciting. Nikki and Sampson couldn't get over how far that was and how much damage it had done to the warthog. It was a little eye opening for them.
In the following days, it got to be somewhat of a spectacle when I would shoot. I would move down next to a waterhole so I could get 85 yards and let them fly into the hay. Everyone was amazed at the accuracy and the lethality of the combination. I can honestly say that this bow and this arrow combination really are the best I've shot. Very easy to tune and fly very close to field tips for being fixed blades.
It was an amazing hunt and even better experience. I just can't wait to get back! In my week I was able to take a warthog, Impala, Blue Wildebeest and Waterbuck. An amazing trip.

I was also able to take my twins out this year. They turned 12 and were able to get out. They didn't get their archery education done so this would be a rifle year for them. We were able to find some nice mule deer for them and they both made great shots.  Very exciting stalks to get within their comfort zone and then great shots by both. I know when I was 14 (you had to be 14 to hunt big game when I grew up), I couldn't hardly stop shaking if I saw anything that even looked like it might have antlers! Both of my boys made great one shot kills and I was very proud. I'm really looking forward to next year when we can spend more time with the bows out chasing elk. That will be a great time and I am looking forward to it.

I am going to be taking more photos and video to add to this blog and a new website that I am starting with a good friend. Keep your eyes out and let me know what you think of the website and also the products we are going to be offering.

You know, Bowtech just came out with a couple of new bows!!  As much as I love my Insanity, I'm really interested in the RPM 360 and can't wait to shoot it. My local shop has some on order so I'll be writing a review as soon as I get my obsessed hands on one!

I hope you all had a great hunting and fishing season and a good Holiday. It's time to start dreaming about new gear and figuring out what hunts will be on the agenda for next year.  Let me know if any of you have some stories to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment