Friday, February 3, 2012

Bowtech Insanity Review..

Well I just jumped off the ledge and bought a new Bowtech Insanity. I guess I just killed the anticipation of whether or not I liked it.. Crap, oh well I'm going to tell you a little about it anyway.



First here is my set up:
Bowtech Instanity 70# 30" draw (paid $949 at my shop. They aren't giving them away!)
Rip Cord drop away rest
Spott Hogg hunter 7 pin sight
10" Fuse Carbon Blade Stabilizer
Shooting Easton Axis 340 arrows right now but may change to a slightly heavier arrow like a FMJ.

As anyone reading this knows, this bow had a lot of hype for it's release. To be perfectly honest (because I'm not a Bowtech employee I don't have to sugar coat this) that hype had a lot do to with my purchase. It felt like a cool thing to have the bow, great job on a marketing strategy! I was a little skeptical about the 6" brace height and the claim of a "smooth" shooting fast bow. I had my archery shop set up a hoyt carbon element and the insanity for me to shoot side by side. In all honesty the Hoyt had a much smoother draw cycle, felt lighter in my hand (because it is) and shot great. But.. the Insanity shot great and I loved the speed. For a 6" brace height bow that IBO's at 355fps, it really shoots nice. The one major downfall to this bow, in my opinion, is the draw cycle. Once you reach the end of your draw, it has a tough break over point. It almost feels like you're hitting your wall and then you give it a little more umph to break it over to full draw. It's not terrible, but it isn't a great draw cycle either. If that is important to you, you will not like this bow. I had one guy at the archery range ask if he could shoot it. I told him to go ahead but it was a little strange at the end of the draw cycle. As he pulled the bow back it hesitated before it broke over and right as he hit the wall, he said "Wow, I really don't like that". He never commented about the way the bow shot after he released, but he didn't like the bow because of that. Me on the other hand; I like the way it shot and the speed that I get out of it enough to not worry about that one point. At 20 yds on the first night I was wrecking arrows. It's a great shooter! I am really looking forward to getting outside with this bow and shooting at some distances. I am just trying to pick a good arrow right now that I will stick with. I don't like getting all my pins set and then changing arrow weight and having to start again. 
So, all I can say for this bow is the good outweighed the bad to me. I am really stoked to get outside and shoot it more but it's a good bow. You need to shoot it for yourself to determine what you like and what's important to you. Unfortunately there are always trade-offs and you will have to decide what you are willing to trade for the extra speed. Maybe next year there will be a bow that is butter smooth on the draw, dead silent on the release, and shoots 370fps...
Ya, probably not!
If you've shot one let me know what you think about my review. If you haven't shot one, go shoot one and tell me what you think. Hopefully this year there will be a lot of pictures posted on this blog of animals killed with my Invasion.



Good luck this year, Spring is almost here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment